Welcome to Marc's Family History and Writing Projects Place

Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Value of Unrealistically Good Charecters in Children's Literature

The Value of Unrealistically Good Characters in Children's Literature


"Since it is so likely that (children) will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise, you are making their destiny not brighter but darker." - C.S. Lewis


I’ve often received feedback about my books suggesting that the children and youth who make up my main characters are "unrealistically good." It’s an interesting observation and one that brings me back to my own childhood reading experiences. One of my favorite book series growing up was *The Boxcar Children*. The main characters were undeniably sweet and kind, perhaps to the point of being "unrealistic." But as a 9 or 10-year-old reader, I didn't see them that way. I didn’t recognize them as improbable; I only saw them as awesome, the kind of children I wanted to emulate. 


They set a standard for me, a beacon of goodness, bravery, and kindness that I aspired to reach. This is exactly why I write the kind of characters I do. I want to offer young readers that same sense of aspiration, to present them with characters who embody the virtues of courage, kindness, and integrity in ways that feel larger than life. 


It's true, you could argue that most children aren't that "good" all the time. But it's equally true that there are real children who embody remarkable qualities. In my time as a teacher, I've met children who are just as incredible as the ones in my stories—children who show kindness, bravery, and generosity that would rival any fictional hero. I’m lucky enough to teach many such children right now. When I ask them about their favorite books, they often mention stories with young heroes who we might label as "unrealistically good." To these young readers, however, those characters represent a standard they aspire to, a vision of who they want to become.


This brings me to an interesting point I've encountered while talking to parents. Many have shared their disappointment when a sequel to a beloved book reveals a change in the main character—suddenly, the character isn't as good a role model as they once were. I can’t help but wonder if those authors received feedback that their characters were "unrealistically sweet and nice" and decided to "fix" that in subsequent books. 


For my part, I have no desire to make my characters less than they are. I want my young characters to be brave knights and courageous heroes, just as C.S. Lewis described. The world can be a harsh place, and children will inevitably face challenges. If literature can provide them with models of bravery and kindness to aspire to, then perhaps their journey will be just a bit brighter.


My aim is to inspire children to be a little kinder to each other, to dream of being brave in the face of their own challenges. Perhaps my characters are "unrealistically good," but if they encourage even one child to be a better person, then I believe it's worth it. After all, it’s in hearing of brave knights that children might just become heroes themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment